Language for Professional Communication
- to provide students with conceptual knowledge and practical skills for effectively accomplishing socially and professionally relevant communicative tasks in a professional environment
- can effectively accomplish socially and professionally relevant tasks in a professional environment
- effectively presents him/herself and his/her ideas in a professional setting
- effectively conducts written professional communication in English, successfully accomplishes professional communicative tasks in writing
- effectively conducts oral professional communication in English, successfully accomplishes professional communicative tasks orally
- Professional Orientation: Skills Required to Succeed in a Professional Environment.Hard skills vs. soft skills. Communicative skills. Time-management skills. Teamwork. Leadership skills. Problem-solving. Critical self-reflection. Communication as a soft skill: empathy, open-mindedness, emotional intelligence, confidence, self-presentation.
- Professional Communication Skills: WritingGetting one's message across in a clear, concise and polite way. How to write a formal letter? Structure and communicative purpose. Letter of request. Letter of complaint. How to write a press-release? Lexical and syntactic features of formal style.
- The Basics of Self-Presentation: How to Present Yourself and Your Ideas Effectively in a Professional SettingHow to write a professional CV? Functional and chronological CVs. How to write an academic CV? Motivation letter and statement of purpose: What is the difference? How to write a statement of purpose? How to behave at a job interview?
- Professional Communication Skills: SpeakingEffective communication in a group (1): group-based discussion. Pros and cons of group work. Asking for and giving clarification in group work. Working with colleagues: problem-solving. Effective communication in a group (2): individual and group presentations. Presenting professionally: introducing presentations. Presenting and explaining results in charts. Dealing with questions in presentations.
- writing a formal letter in English
- writing a press-release in English
- attendance and participation
- doing a group presentation on the topic "Detecting Media Bias"Итоговый контроль в 2019/2020 учебном году состоялся в 3 модуле
- Interim assessment (3 module)0.15 * attendance and participation + 0.35 * doing a group presentation on the topic "Detecting Media Bias" + 0.25 * writing a formal letter in English + 0.25 * writing a press-release in English
- Cambridge Academic English : An integrated skills course for EAP : Upper Intermediate, Student's Book, Course consultant M. McCarthy, 5th ed., 176 p., Hewings, M., 2015
- Cambridge Academic English : An integrated skills course for EAP : Upper Intermediate, Student's Book, 178 p., Hewings, M., 2012
- Гумовская Г.Н. - Английский язык профессионального общения. LSP: English for professional communication - Издательство "ФЛИНТА" - 2018 - 320с. - ISBN: 978-5-9765-2846-8 - Текст электронный // ЭБС ЛАНЬ - URL: https://e.lanbook.com/book/89880
- Данчевская О.Е., Малёв А.В. - English for Cross-Cultural and Professional Communication. Английский язык для межкультурного и профессионального общения: учеб. пособие - Издательство "ФЛИНТА" - 2017 - 192с. - ISBN: 978-5-9765-1284-9 - Текст электронный // ЭБС ЛАНЬ - URL: https://e.lanbook.com/book/116015
- Хутыз И.П. - Формирование коммуникативных навыков в профессиональной среде. Facilitating Professional Communication: a Practical Approach: практикум - Издательство "ФЛИНТА" - 2018 - 104с. - ISBN: 978-5-9765-3571-8 - Текст электронный // ЭБС ЛАНЬ - URL: https://e.lanbook.com/book/119099