Buddy for an International Student
Buddy is an HSE student who volunteers to help international students adapt to life in Nizhny Novgorod and feel more confident in the new cultural and social environment. Buddy is ready to meet you on arrival in Nizhny Novgorod and, if possible, help you throughout your stay at the HSE.
What can you ask Buddy for:
Meet me after arriving in Nizhny Novgorod;
See you to the dormitory and help with the paperwork;
Provide useful information about university buildings, convenient mobile apps, and emergency numbers;
Help you understand documents and forms in Russian;
Suggest interesting places and events in the city;
Redirect to the responsible person if the issue requires the involvement of the university administration.
What you can't ask Buddy for:
Help at night (from 9 pm to 8 am);
Become your round-the-clock assistant (respect his / her personal time!);
Provide financial or other material support.
Request Buddy's help by writing an email to the International Office.
Who is "Buddy"?
Buddy is the first friend of an international student, who provides him with various support during his studies at the HSE in Nizhny Novgorod. This is a person to whom an international student can always turn for help and advice, with questions and concerns. There are so many questions when a foreigner is immersed in a completely new cultural and educational environment for him!
Every semester, students from different countries come to us and it is not always easy for them to become accustomed to what is so obvious to us.
Responsibilities of Buddy:
- to contact the ward before his / her arrival;
- to meet him / her and see him / her to his future place of residence;
- to help him / her get used to the city and the university (to guide him / her on everyday issues — how to exchange money, how to use transport, where and how to buy a SIM card, how to understand the HSE courses, etc.);
- to answer his / her questions; to help him / her in difficult situations;
- to show the initiative and not let him / her be sad;
- to introduce the peculiarities of Russian culture;
- to help him / her feel comfortable in his new environment.
It is easy to become a Buddy - just inform the International Office about your desire by e-mail (be sure to indicate your language skills in the letter), and then come to the organizational meeting.
We are waiting for everyone!
All the Baddies are also active participants of the new international club in the HSE ISClub - it's more fun and easier to organize interesting events together!
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.