- to train MA students specializing in Political Linguistics to conduct independent research and manage research projects in the area of generating, commenting on and analyzing political texts;
- to train MA students to formulate a research question, to critically reflect on and assess the existing research methods and methodologies and find appropriate and most effective ways of approaching particular research problems;
- to train MA students to formulate, present and discuss one’s own an others’ arguments;
- analyze the advantages and disadvantages of using specific methods and techniques in political linguistics research
- analyze the advantages and disadvantages of using specific methods and technologies in political linguistics research
- apply key concepts and frameworks in applied linguistics to the analysis of specific problems in the area of the interrelationship of politics and language
- formulate a research problem in political linguistics terms and suggest the most appropriate and effective way of approaching it
- The Language of Politics and the Politics of LanguageDifferent dimensions of interaction between language and politics. The language of politics: do politicians have their own language? The politics of language: performing ethnic, national, social, gender identity through language. Communication (speech) impact and manipulation. Linguistic and extralinguistic preconditions of communication (speech) impact.
- Key terms and concepts in political linguisticsPolitical communication: what makes communication political? Varieties of political communication, main actors and their objectives. Political communication as discourse. Text and discourse. Discourse as a unit of language and a social practice. Media and political discourse as forms of institutionalized social practice.
- Methods of researching the linguistic personality of a politicianTheory of linguistic personality. Levels of linguistic personality: semantic, cognitive and pragmatic. A politician’s linguistic personality. Methods of researching the linguistic personality of a politician.
- Methods of political discourse analysisCritical discourse analysis (T. van Dijk). Critical discourse theory of political argumentation (N. Fairclough). Poststructuralist discourse analysis (E.Laclau and Ch.Mouffe).
- Colloquium on the topic "Politics and Literature " (неблокирующий)
- Written home assignment (неблокирующий)
- Participation and attendance (неблокирующий)
- Exam in the form of a role play (expert discussion) (неблокирующий)
- Промежуточная аттестация (3 модуль)0.25 * Colloquium on the topic "Politics and Literature " + 0.35 * Exam in the form of a role play (expert discussion) + 0.15 * Participation and attendance + 0.25 * Written home assignment
- Discourse and Communication : New Approaches to the Analysis of Mass Media Discourse and Communication, edited by Teun A. Van Dijk, De Gruyter, Inc., 2011. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=3042341.
- Tannen, Deborah, et al. The Handbook of Discourse Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, 2015. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=1895501.
- Введение в прикладную лингвистику, [учебник], Московский гос. ун-т им. М. В. Ломоносова, Филологический фак., 5-е изд., 367 с., Баранов, А. Н., ISBN: 978-5-9710-4237-2, 2017
- Language, Power and Ideology : Studies in political discourse, edited by Ruth Wodak, John Benjamins Publishing Company, 1989. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=673092.
- Scollon, Ron, and Scollon, Suzie Wong. Discourses in Place : Language in the Material World, Routledge, 2003. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=172831.