How to Move or Settle in Apartment

If you are going to move to an apartment, you should notify the dormitory administration and the International Office in advance, then prepare the documents for moving out and terminate an agreement.

If this is your first time in Nizhny Novgorod and you plan to stay in an apartment:

  1. In advance inform the owner of the apartment about the date and time of your arrival in Nizhny Novgorod. Submit online arrival form.
  2. Before your arrival, build a route from the station or airport to the apartment by public transport or taxi. Remember the approximate cost of the trip and have cash or a bank card for payment.
  3. If you are renting an apartment, you should sign a lease agreement with the owner of the apartment before moving in. Do not forget to make a copy of the passport of the owner and check the documents for the ownership of the apartment.
  4. If you live in an apartment (rent; live with friends or relatives; are the owner of the apartment), the owner of this apartment is obliged to submit your documents for migration registration indicating the address of the apartment when you settle in, at each your entry into the Russian Federation (it can be your first entry or subsequent entry after leaving abroad) , as well as when extending the registration period.
  5. Find out in advance from the owner of the apartment whether he is ready to regularly make a migration registration for you at the address of the apartment, and whether he has all the necessary documents (permanent registration at the address of the apartment or a certificate of ownership).
  6. It is advisable that the obligations of the owner for migration registration are spelled out in the rental agreement.
  7. Important information for owners:

When submitting documents for migration registration of a foreign citizen, the owner of the apartment is NOT OBLIGED to provide a rental agreement, to disclose any financial or tax information, except information for confirmation of ownership. Migration registration of a foreign citizen in an apartment does not entail the levying of any taxes and fees from the owner.

At the first time moving into the apartment, as well as at each re-entry into the Russian Federation, the owner of the apartment after submitting the documents must give you the original registration slip with the specified registration period, the inspector's signature and seal. Please, immediately take a photo/scan of this registration slip on both sides and send it to