Employment agreements normally stipulate the city, which is considered the workplace for all HSE employees.
Please note that travelling without formally documenting your absence can only be done on:
- public holidays;
- days off (this should not be confused with annual leave).
The formal procedures in place at HSE for documenting absence from the workplace on a workday as a registered leave, or a business trip, need to be completed in advance in order to comply with Russian migration regulations, as well as the University’s internal bylaws.
Please make sure to follow the formal procedures no matter what funds are used to cover your business trip expenses.
- 1 month prior to your business trip inform International Office about it. You must have an invitation letter (an email is enough) which specifies the details: the purpose of your visit, name and location of the event, dates, participation fee details, and a note stating which expenses (if any) related to the trip will be covered by the hosting party.
- International Office or your coordinator fills out the travel assignment form with the help of the central accounting office and has it signed by you and by HSE authorities.
- A business trip directive is issued based on this business trip assignment. The process for formalising a business trip usually takes up to 2 weeks.
- the relevant coordinator or International Office is informed 45 days prior to the business trip;
- after budget approval, a travel assignment form is processed by the coordinator (this may take up to 5 business days);
- a business trip directive shall be issued by the HR Department based on the travel assignment form (this may take up to 5 business days) and assigned a reference number;
- an advance payment request should be submitted to the director (it should contain the reference number of the business trip directive);
- after the advance payment request is signed by the director, it should be submitted to the Accounting Office (10 days prior to your business trip).
The advance payment shall be transferred to your bank account within 3-5 days from the date of the advance payment form’s submission.
All reporting documents should be collected for future reimbursement and/ or for reporting on expenses if an advance payment has been provided.
Note! We strongly recommend that you review the list of reporting documents below before going on business trips.
Please note that all expenses paid by third parties (including spouses) cannot be reimbursed.
Travel expenses shall be reimbursed after your business trip is completed and all reporting documents are submitted to HSE’s Accounting Office.
- The reporting documents with their translation into Russian should be submitted to the Accounting Office as soon as possible after your return – preferably on the first day of your arrival. The official deadline for submitting documents for reimbursement to the Accounting Office is 3 business days after returning from the business trip. At the end of the calendar year, please make sure that you submit the reporting documents not later than December 10, or it will be reimbursed out of the next year’s budget. Please ask a faculty coordinator(s) for assistance.
- The reimbursement shall be transferred to your specified bank account after the Accounting Office processes the reporting documents.
For more details, please see 'Regulations governing business trip assignments for employees of National Research University - Higher School of Economics' at https://hr.hse.ru/localforeign (Fifth document and annexes to it in 'Local regulations' section).
Supporting Documents for Reimbursement
We strongly recommend reviewing these requirements before you go on your business trip.
- All expenses must be paid by the employee. Services purchased using someone else’s bank card will not be reimbursed.
- Original copies of supporting documents with translation into Russian must be submitted for reimbursement – your coordinator is to submit them to the accounting office within 3 days after you come back from your business trip.
- All documents proving payments must contain payment references.
- Bank statements issued by Russian banks must contain a signature and a seal.
- Reimbursement for one trip cannot be made in parts. Only a complete package of documents will be accepted.
- An employee will only be reimbursed for those expenses that are proven by correct documents. Please, see below for the reimbursement rules.
AT THE END OF THE CALENDAR YEAR, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU SUBMIT THE REPORTING DOCUMENTS NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 10 OR IT WILL BE REIMBURSED OUT OF THE NEXT YEAR’S BUDGET.
What documents do I need to present to be reimbursed for a business trip?
|Expenses||Paid in cash/by bank card in person||Purchased online||Helpful information|
|Per diem|| |
Scanned copies of:
|A per-diem is provided by HSE on a compulsory basis, unless a hosting party/ colleague does this. If a hosting party/ colleague provides per-diems, an invitation letter stating this fact should be submitted. |
The daily living costs depend on the destination country. Please see the business travel per diem list.
NB! If you only claim per-diem expenses, please make sure to also keep boarding passes and submit them to the Accounting Office.
|Travel|| || ||Plane and train tickets may be reimbursed only when travelling from/to a city of employment. Employee travel on a business trip from and/or to a vacation destination (or short-term sabbatical leave) cannot be covered. |
Only economy class plane tickets can be reimbursed.
taxi receipt specifying the route “airport – hotel” or “hotel – airport”
| ||Taxi receipts must specify the date and route, as well as contain the driver’s signature. If you travel in Russia, taxi expenses will not be reimbursed, only Aeroexpress. |
If you take a train to travel abroad, transfer from and to the railway station won’t be reimbursed as it will be part of my per diem.
|Accommodation|| HOTEL || || Only a stay in a single standard room in an economy class hotel can be reimbursed. |
Confirmation of stay documents should contain the following information:
|RENTED APARTMENT (e.g., Airbnb) |
Payment to an agency:
Payment to a host:
| ||A stay at a private apartment must be approved by director.|
|Registration fee, membership fee|| || ||NB! Membership fee reimbursement must be first discussed with the Accounting Office and then - approved by the director. Please consult your coordinator on the possibility. |
Membership fee can only be reimbursed if it is a mandatory payment for a participation and does not exceed 1 year of membership.
Invoice (sales receipt/ electronic payment confirmation) should contain the following information:
|Medical insurance|| || || |
|Visa expenses|| || ||Extended fees for urgent visa issuance cannot be reimbursed. |
If you are using a commercial visa service, a receipt specifying payment reference and a cashier’s receipt must be submitted.
For questions, please contact International Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.