International Law in Action: the Arbitration of International Disputes
- This course offers you an opportunity to gain a better insight into international arbitration, its role and the current issues relating to it. You will gain in-depth knowledge of the principles and rules of arbitration. You will explore the topic through concrete examples and the most prominent arbitrations. You will also grasp the notion of international arbitration navigating between law and politics. International arbitration and The Hague go hand in hand: several key arbitration institutes are located in The Hague and important disputes were settled here through arbitration. The Hague is, so to speak, ‘the place to be for international arbitration’, especially when we are dealing with arbitration between States, or arbitration of investment disputes between foreign investors and States.
- The student knows the international arbitration courts system; in particular he focuses on the Permanent court of arbitration, inter-state arbitration and investor-state arbitration.
- The student should be familiar with the preconditions for international dispute settlement appearance, with the current system of international courts and tribunals
- The student summarizes the knowledge obtained, allocates distinctive features and purpose of each international court and tribunal
- The student understands how international criminal courts and tribunals exercise their powers, he is familiar with current situations and cases regarding ensuring individual criminal responsibility
- The student should be familiar with the jurisdiction of ICJ and its dual competence.
- Welcome to the course
- The History and General Principles of International Arbitration
- Arbitration and the Law of the Sea
- Investment Arbitration
- State Immunity and the Enforcement & Validity of International Arbitral Decision
- Focarelli, C. (2019). International Law. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=2169048
- Skorupa-Wulczyńska, A. (2019). Language Rights in the Light of International Law. https://doi.org/10.12775/CLR.2018.003
- von Bogdandy, A., & Villarreal, P. A. (2021). The Role of International Law in Vaccinating Against COVID-19: Appraising the COVAX Initiative. Zeitschrift Für Ausländisches Öffentliches Recht Und Völkerrecht / Heidelberg Journal of International Law ; Volume 81, Issue 1, Page 89-116 ; ISSN 0044-2348. https://doi.org/10.17104/0044-2348-2021-1-89
- Бекяшев К.А. - Международное публичное право. Учебник - Проспект - 2019 - ISBN: 978-5-392-29680-4 - Текст электронный // ЭБС Проспект - URL: http://ebs.prospekt.org/book/42150
- Лазутин Л.А., под ред., Суворова В.Я. - Международное право - Юстиция - 2021 - ISBN: 978-5-4365-5041-1 - Текст электронный // ЭБС BOOKRU - URL: https://book.ru/book/936645
- Уткин В.А. - Международное право борьбы с преступностью - Юстиция - 2021 - ISBN: 978-5-4365-5157-9 - Текст электронный // ЭБС BOOKRU - URL: https://book.ru/book/936357