*For details about the Eurasian Economic Union check up this page.
**For more information on the HQS status see the HQS Card.
HQS work permit can be annulled on a number of reasons, including absence of a foreign national on the territory of Russian Federation for 6 months and more.
***A tax resident is a citizen of any nation that has lived on the territory of the Russian Federation for at least 183 days within the last 12 months.
Taxes applied to other payments
HQS status does not automatically give an employee the right to a 13% tax rate, as applied to other payments such as settling-in allowances. Whether it is a 13% or 30% tax rate will fully depend on the tax status of the resident. A tax resident is a citizen of any nation who has lived on the territory of the Russian Federation for at least 183 days within the last 12 months. A 13% tax rate shall be applied to the income and other payments of Russian tax residents, whereas the tax rate for non-resident individuals comes to 30%.
Tax deduction and tax filing
All taxes are deducted from your salary automatically by the employer. It means that the sum you receive is your salary after taxes. It also means that you will not have to file taxes in Russia.
For further information on Insurance Contributions to the Pension Fund, Social Security Fund and Compulsory Medical Insurance Fund of the Russian Federation, Deducted from Payments to Individuals we recommend you to visit this page.
In order for your employment with HSE NRU to commence, you are required to make yourself acquainted with the local regulations adopted by the University, as well as provide us with the documents required by the Russian labour law.
Dear colleagues, we put your attention that the notification of conclusion of the employment contract should be submitted to the Ministry of Internal Affairs within three working days since the start day of the employment contract.
Documents for Employment
1. National passport with notarized Russian translation
2. Migration card (upon entry to Russia all foreign travelers are given a migration card, which is usually distributed to passengers on incoming flights while passing through a passport control and available at arrival points in Russia)
3. HQS card (a work permit for a highly qualified specialist (HQS) on the territory of the Russian Federation)
4. Registration coupon (all foreign citizens must be registered by the Migration Authorities of the Interior Ministry of Russia upon arriving in Russia, the copy can be submitted later)
5. Employment record book (if a foreign employee was previously officially employed in Russia, they already have one. If not, then they will need to pay for it: HR department will kindly ask them to let them deduct its cost from the Employee’s first salary)
6. SNILS (Insurance number of the individual account, if a foreign employee was previously officially employed in Russia, they already have one. If not, a foreign emplyee will apply to the Pension Fund of the Russian Federation to issue this document)
7. INN (individual taxpayer number belonging to a particular taxpayer is appropriated in Russia at the request of the taxpayer and at the initiative of the migration authorities, for example, if the foreign citizen is a highly qualified specialist. The territorial tax inspectorates in the place of residence shall issue the INN certificate. If the taxpayer does not have a permanent registration, the issue of where to get a the INN certificate will be resolved by the tax authorities at the place of temporary residence (place of stay) or in the area where he has a property)
8. Diploma of Education (Bachelor, Licensee, Master) - legalized or apostilled in the country of issue copy of the document with a notarized Russian translation
9. Diploma of Scientific Degree (PhD, Doctor of Science, Candidate of Science) - legalized or apostilled in the country of issue copy of the document with a notarized Russian translation
10. Certificate of clean criminal record (all foreign citizens can order this certificate at Ministry of Internal Affairs in 71, Maxim Gorky street, they need to have their passport with a notarized translation on them)
11. Routine medical examination certificate (medical examination is carried out under the referral from HSE University and paid by the Employer, the referral can be obtained in a single reception of HSE University)
12. Confirmation of medical examination, fingerprinting and photographing procedures. International workers must undergo these procedures within 30 days from the date of arrival in Russia. More information here.
Annex 1 to Business Trip Regulations Memo & Cost estimate
Annex 2 to Business Trip Regulations Document Management
Annex 3 to Business Trip Regulations Expense Report
Annex 4 to Business Trip Regulations Comprehensive Report
Addition to Annex 4 of Business Trip Regulations List of Business Trip Events & Results
Annex 5 to Business Trip Regulations Duration of Business Trip for Intl Faculty
11. Regulations for Regular Mandatory Teaching Quality Assessments at National Research University Higher School of Economics Performed by HSE Students to Assess the Organization of Study Processes and Teaching Quality in Their Educational Programmes
Appendix 1 to Procedures for development, revision and approval of course syllabuses
Appendix 2 to Procedures for development, revision and approval of course syllabuses
Appendix 3 to Procedures for development, revision and approval of course syllabuses
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.