Understanding Russian Economy. Problems of Transition
- The purpose of the course is to bring the basic knowledge on the specific aspects of Russian economy that had significant impact on the latest development trends in Russia.
- Formulates and substantiates its own point of view on socio-economic processes in Russia and in the world.
- Сonducts analysis of socially significant problems and processes
- Understanding Russian Economy. Problems of TransitionIntroduction to ‘a transition in Russia’ course. Brief Russian economic history. Pillars of market reforms. Lost opportunities of transition. Understanding the golden decade and the subsequent crisis. Lessons of transition. Searching for solutions. Fundamental challenges to the Russian economy. Fundamental challenges to the Russian economy (follow up).
- Understanding Russians: Contexts of Intercultural CommunicationsIntercultural Communication as an Academic Discipline. Culture in Intercultural Communication. Theory of Communication. Culture’s Impact on Communication: Politeness. Communication in Organizational Contexts. Social Stratification and Occupational Cultures in Russia. Interpersonal Communication. Culture as a Narrative.
- Interim assessment (3 module)The assessment is based on the certificate for the online course. Score (10-point scale) Criterion 10 95 - 100 % 9 85 - 94 % 8 75-84% 7 65-74% 6 55-64% 5 45-54% 4 35-44% 3 25-34% 2 15-24% 1 less than 15%
- Dzarasov, Ruslan. Conundrum of Russian Capitalism : The Post-Soviet Economy in the World System, Pluto Press, 2013. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=3386749.
- Shlapentokh, Vladimir, and Anna Arutunyan. Freedom, Repression, and Private Property in Russia, Cambridge University Press, 2013. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=1543586.