Panos Pardalos will make a keynote talk on the conference EUROmC-XXVIII-VNS in Herceg Novi (Montenegro)
Panos Pardalos will make a keynote talk on the EURO Mini Conference XXVIII on Variable Neighbourhood Search which takes place in Herceg Novi (Montenegro) 4-7 Oct 2012.
Panos M. Pardalos, Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Florida and Director, Centre for Applied Optimization, and Laboratory of Algorithms and Technologies for Networks Analysis (LATNA) National Research University Higher School of Economics, Russia
The Road Less Traveled: From Local to Global in Optimization
Abstract: In optimization, most of the proposed algorithms compute stationary points or local optima. Computing globally optimal solutions is a desirable but very difficult task in many practical instances. In this talk we are going to discuss several issues including:
• Why does global optimization matter? In combinatorial optimization there are problems where every feasible point is locally optimal, therefore only the global optimum matters.
• How easy is local search? What is the complexity of computing locally optimal solutions?
• Estimation of the average number of local optima when we have knowledge about the problem data distribution.
• Space covering techniques and global optimization approaches based on local search.
• Applications where real-time locally optimal solutions are needed.