International Law In Action: Investigating and Prosecuting International Crimes
Егорова Алена Сергеевна
- The training in the International Law in Action is aimed to develop knowledge and skills, sufficient for subsequent digestion of branch disciplines. Student competence generated as a result of the discipline study After the study of the discipline the student should: Be familiar with the concepts and the main characteristics of International law; basic laws of origin, function and development of International Criminal law; conflict settlement and combating crime; development of the basic institutions of international humanitarian, maritime, economic, diplomatic and consular law, the role of international courts and tribunals while investigating and prosecuting international crimes, the challenges international courts and tribunals faces with while holding individuals liable for committing international crimes. Be able to operate with legal concepts and categories; to analyze legislation and legal relationships arising therefrom; to analyze, interpret and apply the law correctly. Have skills for working knowledge with legal acts, analyzing various legal events and relations, which are the objects of professional activity; solution of legal problems and conflicts.
- The student knows which illegal acts entail international criminal responsibility, he is familiar with the grounds for holding individuals liable for committing international crimes.
- The student examines the role of different actors in the criminal process, argues positions from the perspective of a particular actor. He also relates legal and political challenges of courts to their mandates and working methods
- The student explains the importance of the involvement of victims in the international criminal process, examines the role of international criminal judges in international procedures. He evaluates an ICC case on child soldiers, to find out what makes international criminal trials so complicated.
- Student envelopes independent thinking and formulates proposals to enhance policies and practices while analyzing Lubanga case considered by ICC
- The International Criminal Justice System: Core Concepts and FoundationsWelcome to the first module of this Course! This week, we will introduce you to some of the foundations and core concepts of the international criminal justice system. We will discuss international crimes (genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes) and foundations of liability. We will relate the discussion to some of the challenges of the Lubanga case, the International Criminal Court's first ever trial.
- The International Criminal Justice System: Justice Institutions and ProceduresIn this second week we will examine justice institutions and the different stages of the justice process. We will study how major international criminal cases emerge. We will cover the role of different actors in the process, including prosecutorial strategies and legal and political challenges.
- Trying PerpetratorsIn this third week, we will focus on the criminal process, including the challenges faced by different actors. We will study how a trial unfolds. We will explore the role and perspective of the Defence and victims. We will then examine the role of the judge in international criminal proceedings. We will finally discuss the role of child soldiers as victims and perpetrators, including the experiences of the ICC in its first cases (Lubanga,Ongwen).
- Remedying Wrong and Look to the FutureIn this final week, we will explore how wrong can be remedied through trials, and how international criminal justice can be improved. After this week, you should be able to formulate a proposal on how international criminal justice can be enhanced.
- Бекяшев К.А. - Международное публичное право. Учебник - Проспект - 2019 - ISBN: 978-5-392-29680-4 - Текст электронный // ЭБС Проспект - URL: http://ebs.prospekt.org/book/42150
- Бекяшев К.А., Моисеев Е.Г. - Международное публичное право в вопросах и ответах. Учебное пособие - Проспект - 2015 - ISBN: 978-5-392-16352-6 - Текст электронный // ЭБС Проспект - URL: http://ebs.prospekt.org/book/27746
- Конституционное право и международное публичное право: теория и практика взаимодействия: Монография / Умнова И.А. - М.:РГУП, 2016. - 672 с.: ISBN 978-5-93916-526-6 - Режим доступа: http://znanium.com/catalog/product/1007382